Biden challenges Trump to debate, shuns debates from nonpartisan organizers

President Joe Biden on Wednesday said he will not participate in fall presidential debates sponsored by the nonpartisan commission that has organized them for more than three decades.  Instead, he has proposed two debates with former President Donald Trump to be held earlier in the year, hosted by news organizations. Biden’s campaign has proposed that the first debate between the presumptive Democratic and Republican nominees be held in late June and the second in September before early voting begins.

A letter from Jen O’Malley Dillon, chair of the president’s reelection campaign, proposed a first debate between Biden and Trump in late June, after the likely conclusion of Trump’s hush money criminal trial in New York, and after Mr. Biden returns from the G7 Summit in Italy.

The debates will be hosted in a television studio and Trump responded quickly, saying he disagrees with Biden’s call to not debate in front of a crowd, but accepted the proposed dates in an interview with Fox News Digital, calling the proposed dates “fully acceptable to me” and added that he would “strongly recommend” more than two debates at a “very large venue.”

In a video shared on social media, President Biden urged his opponent to take him on. “Donald Trump lost two debates to me in 2020. Since then, he hasn’t shown up for a debate. Now he’s acting like he wants to debate me again,” Biden said in the video. “Well, make my day, pal, I’ll even do it twice. So, let’s pick the dates, Donald – I hear you’re free on Wednesdays,” Biden quipped, alluding to Trump’s court schedule.

If you have found a spelling error, please, notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.


Discover more from Pinch News

Subscribe to get the latest posts to your email.

Total
0
Shares
Related Posts
Total
0
Share

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: